In the occupied West Bank, which is now experiencing a new wave of violence, Israeli troops razed on Thursday the home of a Palestinian man who is suspected of murdering an Israeli soldier in that territory.
At least seventeen individuals have been murdered in the region this week as a result of Israeli military invasions, assaults by Palestinians or Israeli settlers, or a combination of the two.
More than 200 individuals have been killed so far this year as a direct result of violence connected to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Witnesses told AFP that soldiers broke into the Palestinian city of Nablus, which is located in the northern section of the West Bank, during the night and departed the city before dawn after demolishing Kamal Jouri’s home, which was located in an apartment complex.
In October, a terrorist named Kamal Jouri carried out a gun attack, which ultimately resulted in the murder of a soldier named Ido Baruch. The army said that it “demolished… the home of Kamal Jouri,” and it did so.
Osama Tawil, who is also accused of taking part in the attack and whose home was demolished on June 15, according to the Israeli army, was with Jouri when he was captured in February and is currently being held in Israeli detention with Jouri.
During the operation to demolish Jouri’s residence, “rioters opened fire on the soldiers, causing damage to a military vehicle,” according to the statements made by the army.
Israel is in the habit of destroying the homes of Palestinians who are responsible for acts that result in the death of Israelis. It asserts that it is a deterrence, even though detractors contend that what it really amounts to is collective punishment.
Since the Six-Day War in 1967, Israel has maintained its occupation of the West Bank.
With the exception of the part of east Jerusalem that has been annexed, the land is currently the home to around 490,000 Israelis who live in settlements that are against international law.
In recent days, deadly violence has broken out in the northern West Bank, which is a bastion of Palestinian armed organizations and an area where Israel has stepped up its military operations.
A rash of assaults against Israelis as well as attacks by Jewish settlers on Palestinian communities have taken place in the northern part of the West Bank during the last week. One of these attacks was carried out using a drone.
An Israeli military assault carried out on Monday in the Palestinian refugee camp of Jenin resulted in the deaths of seven Palestinians, including a combatant for Islamic Jihad and two teenagers aged 15 years old.
Strong opposition was met by the army, which responded by firing missiles from a helicopter in order to clear the path for its men.
At a gas station located close to the Eli settlement on Tuesday, two Palestinian gunmen opened fire, resulting in the deaths of four Israeli citizens. The attackers were put to death by gunfire.
In response, the office of Netanyahu stated that his administration will expedite the growth of the settlement at Eli. This was done despite the fact that the United Nations has repeatedly demanded that Israel cease such construction.
According to the Israeli anti-settlement organization Peace Now, Netanyahu’s declaration was made with the intention of “appeasing fervent and fanatic settlers.”
Israelis invaded the Palestinian community of Turmus Ayya on Wednesday, setting fire to homes and cars, according to eyewitness accounts and statements made by the Israeli army. Turmus Ayya is located between the cities of Ramallah and Nablus.
One Palestinian was murdered, either during the incident itself or in the turmoil that followed amid fights with Israeli police. It is unclear which event caused the death.
There were reports from journalists that they saw houses being set on fire and injured people being taken away in ambulances.
According to a statement released by the Israeli military afterwards, three members of a “terrorist cell” were killed by an Israeli drone attack in the West Bank on Wednesday evening.
The statement claimed that the cell had “carried out a number of shooting attacks toward communities” in the West Bank.
According to information provided by firemen, the Deputy Governor of Jenin, Kamal Abu al-Roub, stated that there were “three dismembered bodies inside” the vehicle that he stated had been struck by missiles. He made this statement while citing information from the firefighters.
According to a source speaking with Palestinian intelligence, this attack is the first time that Israeli forces have carried out an operation inside of occupied Palestinian territory since August of 2006.
At least 174 Palestinians, 25 Israelis, an Italian, and a Ukrainian have been murdered so far this year as a direct result of the spike in violence that is associated with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The count, which was established using official sources, includes military personnel, civilians, and three members of Israel’s Arab minority. It also includes civilians who were killed by Israeli forces.